A second cohort of schools complete Secondary Teacher Leaders (STL) Program
In February, a second cohort of schools completed the Secondary Teacher Leaders (STL) Program, a 9-month professional development program for Heads of Learning Areas (HOLAs) and Level 3 teachers from EDvance secondary schools.
Fogarty EDvance understands the complex role undertaken by secondary HOLAs and Level 3 teachers in school improvement. This program has been designed to support secondary teacher leaders in whole school improvement.
More than 75 HOLAs and Level 3 teachers from seven EDvance schools came together for five workshops in 2020 and 2021, including one session in the January school holidays.
Key objectives for participants of the STL Program include:
- Developing greater clarity of roles and responsibilities, leading to clearer expectations on staff.
- Gaining a deeper understanding of the principles of effective teaching and learning, particularly the teaching of new concepts.
- Enhancing their ability to lead discussions within their learning area to bring about change.
- Describing how they will be an instructional leader through developing a performance and development team culture.
- Having a methodology for backward mapping to the heavily weighted skills required in each year level of the curriculum.
Feedback from program participants is very positive:
- 96% felt they were a more effective leader because of the program
- 96% felt their learning area was having more professional discussions about learning practices
- 100% felt there was an increased focus on using data
“The course has greatly boosted my confidence, furthered my leadership and management skills and made me more reflective about what I do.”Secondary Teacher LeaderParticipant, 2020-21 Program
“I have a greater understanding and ability to input whole school directions and development.”Secondary Teacher LeaderParticipant, 2020-21 Program
“Working and talking with other school leaders about their journey was very valuable.”Secondary Teacher LeaderParticipant, 2020-21 Program
To complete the program participants will submit a ‘story of impact’, allowing them to reflect on achievements they made against their action plans, and identify areas there have been changes to their leadership practice.
The third cohort of the STL Program is scheduled to commence in Week 9 of Term 2, 2021. To find out more, please contact the Fogarty EDvance Team – email@example.com.